Wednesday 12 April 2017

Wednesday April 12, 2017..Little late posting this week, but I did get to my Monday visit with Alma, and what a beautiful spring/summer day it was.  Although we did a little art...coloring in pre drawn flowers...it was just too lovely outdoors..so out we went.

Alma in a wheelchair, and me pushing it along.  Once we were outside I realized that it was kind of hot for Alma's head so I put my peak cap on her..(I need a peak - having crappy eyes) she was so pleased fixing it in a jaunty style over her eyes.  So we wheeled our way around the courtyard stopping to talk to some of the other patients who were also in wheelchairs.  Alma would point the way and on we would go.  Here is perfect, no too much wind..try over there. Eventually we stopped at a perfect place, then I realized hey she is missing her cup of coffee..Asking another person also with a patient, I checked if she could keep her eye on Alma, while I rushed in for the coffee, so with coffee in hand, peak cap on her head and her white curls, she looked happy and jaunty as she looked up at the beautiful blue sky and lovely white clouds..remarking _"how beautiful "!  This reminded me so much of Mac, it is so perfect for Alzheimer's patients to be outdoors and enjoying they feel at home and I know rarely do they have a problem outdoors, their conversation may be sparse but it usually happy.

As I was wheeling her back to the elevator to return her to her floor, I was pleased to notice she was not complaining of pain in her hip, earlier she was and I thought perphaps it was her wheel chair and tried to find the physio without luck...but then remembered she should have her tylenol pill so checked that out and sure enough it had not been given at the usual time..So obviously it had taken it's effect.  Anyway, as we were waiting for the elevator, along came the deaf student from Mackay
to do her volunteer work. how pleased she was to meet us again.  Always a pleasure to meet my old friends and students from the days of teaching at Mackay..and always a satisfaction to see how these deaf students can cope in a hearing world..

Getting back to Alma I said to her, "Jackie will be joining you soon, but I'll have to leave"..I was so pleased to hear her say "Jackie" ,   My Jackie"   How good she was at recognizing and remembering her daughter, although it isn't always the case, I thought to myself, well Alma is on-target and perfect today.  As I thought this I kind of thoughtlessly started to remove her hat, as I needed it to go home,  Well, she grabbed it, and said "do not do that, it is my hat" You should ask first",   I said, I'm sorry Alma, I then said "oh by the way here are some cookies I brought for you.  The cookies were in a package and in a little bag.  As she grabbed the cookies and the bag I managed to get the hat.  Then said I'm leaving now, but will see you next week.  She said, "fine and be sure to return my hat to me before then."Well for sure nothing got past Alma that day.  I will put commandments for those dealing with Alzheimer's in my next blog.   I for one, after my this little episode, should take the commandments seriously, and remember to always "ask first".

No comments:

Post a Comment